[Scummvm-devel] New GUI thoughts in the Wiki

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Nov 19 05:10:05 CET 2005

Am 19.11.2005 um 13:36 schrieb Marcus Comstedt:

> Ok, the first thing that hits me on the New GUI page is this:
>
> #  Using pixmaps has the drawback of taking more memory, and possibly
>    more CPU power. So as a fallback, it would be good if we could
>    still work w/o the pixmaps (possibly reverting to the current UI).
>
> Well yes, if we need to stick with the current pixel-based CPU
> rendering scheme.
>
> However, if the GUI is to be remade anyway, why not use a display list
> approach instead, and allow the backend to use hardware rendering if
> available?  That way I could put all the pixmaps in texture memory,
> meaning no loss of regular memory, and it would be fast too.

Please elaborate on this. I am not sure how I'd code a GUI using a
"display list approach". Could you give some more details on how you
think this would work, maybe including some example code etc.?

Keeping in mind, of course, that this should work for 320x200 8bpp
targets just as well as for 640x480 16bpp or bigger targets; and that
partial redraws are a must on slow targets (e.g. a full redraw of the
display list each time a click happen is no option)

> Of course, a software renderer would still have to be provided for
> pixel-based backends, but it would sit between the GUI and the
> platform code, just rasterizing the display lists.

A software renderer would be used by the default port, in fact
probably by all ports except "console" ports. It would be the de-
facto standard.

Bye,