[Scummvm-devel] Forums Update

James 'Ender' Brown ender at scummvm.org
Sun Oct 23 03:50:51 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 13:20 +0300, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> > This is the default behavior of the code, and could be changed with
> > some minor effort to more closely mimic SF.net wherein ALL posts are
> > e-mailed.
> Is it planned?

I'm really looking for feedback on whether this is acceptable behavior.
It is a minor change, but it does involve changing the behavior of a lot
of code. Basically, this forum software has native 'topic watch'
functionality, working on the principle that someone only wants to
subscribe to threads of interest to them.

With this in mind, the intuitive implementation of "Monitor Forum" is to
simply notify on new topics/threads. Then the user simply clicks 'Watch'
on any thread that interests him. I'm using a slightly customised
standard phpBB mod, to ensure easy upgrading.

However, from most of the devs who watch the forum, this is not exactly
what we use Monitor Forum on SF for, since we want to see everything.

Basically, I think users would prefer the current behavior. Yes, making
the option 'monitor all' or 'monitor threads' is switchable, but I've
never delved into that part of the forum code much.

If we do change it, it'll just mean cross-linking the monitor and watch
functions. It's a pretty minor change, but since it requires linking
directly into the topic watch code and database (to ensure no
double-notifications), it makes the forum harder to upgrade.

Unless I just disable Topic Watch, which is far more upgrade-proof, but
quite confusing to people use to this forum software.

Sorry I didn't expand on this my first e-mail around, I was in a bit of
a hurry writing it. :)

I'm looking into the transition stuff at the moment, so I'll reply to
that part of your e-mail when I'm done :)

  - Ender

--
James 'Ender' Brown <ender at scummvm.org>