[Scummvm-devel] 0.9.0 plans

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Apr 10 06:45:02 CEST 2006

On Mo, April 10, 2006 14:05, Pawel Kolodziejski wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Eugene asked me yesterday about 0.9.0. We both thought that we don't
>> want to wait half a year for that... in fact I think it would be
>> great if we could make releases every, say, three months or so
>> (ideally, it would be nice to have a "roadmap" or so, but that
>> requires a lot of dedicated people whoa actually work on fixed
>> milestones, so I am afraid that's not too realistic for us right
>> now :-).
>>
>> Still, a 0.9.0 shouldn't be too far away. Essentially, we need to
>> finish the GUI code, and make sure our ports get up to speed. In
>
> gfx drawing gui with theme quite slow on pda with linux sdl default
> backend. without it works not fast but resonable.
>
> Pawel

Hi Pawel,

while I am not fully sure what exactly the intention of our mail is/are,
you are right in so far as the new GUI code is indeed still comparatively
slow.

Speeding it up is, to my understanding at least, one of the things left to
do to finish the GUI code. The proposed changes for OSystems RGBcolor code
are just for this, for example. More improvements are probably possible.
I'll try to help with this one of these days, Apple ships some pretty nice
profiling tools which did me good services so far ;-).

Of course, we also need feedback from people with slow devices, and not
just after the release, but continously, ideally after each speed related
fix ("did help", "no effect", "oops, it's slower noq").