[Scummvm-devel] Nice results with the latest svn..

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Apr 12 03:58:12 CEST 2006

Am 12.04.2006 um 12:43 schrieb Lars Persson:

> Hi!
> Well.. firstly.. I am mostly using two different mailservices which
> both defaults to MHTML.
>
> Now both hotmail and the one I am using with this reply, have one
> big drawback, that is when MHTML is beeing sent, no plain/text part
> of the email is beeing sent, but only the MHTML part.
>
> Now I am not sure what the RFC says if its mandatory to sent out
> plain/text parts when mailing MHTML, but sadly lots of new
> mailservices only support MHTML or does n't support the plain/text
> properly when sending MHTML so if your email reader only supports
> plain text, then you would have a problem.
>
> So do the ScummVM team have a recommendation of what email type
> which should be used?

Plain text. It's what the whole Email system is built and designed
around. I know of no services that requires one to use HTML mails,
but do know services that won't work correctly with mails that lack
plain text. After all, only when one wants to "format" emails does
one need to use HTML, and the only reason why one wants to format
mails that I am aware of is PR style (ads, be it spam, or
legitimate). For a discussion list like ours, using HTML mail makes
no sense.

Even if one sends HTML mails, one should always include a plain text
version of the mail. A mail client which fails to do so, is IMNSHO
broken and should be avoided, and a bug report should be sent to the
producer.