[Scummvm-devel] DXA file format for videos

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Apr 25 05:21:03 CEST 2006

On Di, April 25, 2006 14:14, Jonathan Gray wrote:
[...]
> There are several openly documented lossless video codecs out
> there if that is what is being considered.
>
> ie HuffYUV http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=HuffYUV

Of course we can check if we find other even more suitable codecs out
there. However, the advantage of DXA is that we need to support it anyway,
the code is extremly simple and portable, and we already have an encoder,
too.

HuffYUV is based on YUV color presentation, which is a good idea for true
color images, and that's what most codecs optimize for. IN our case,
however, we are dealing with 256 color palette based data. YUV works not
very well for that (basically, it first has to blow up the data by a
factor 3, before compressing it, so it has quite a disadvantage there).

That said, if we can find something that beats the DXA compression ratio,
is free, has an encoder somewhere (or writing one is easy), and offers
comparably nice playback (DXA is quite low on memory and CPU resources),
we should most definitley consider it!