[Scummvm-devel] Max cursor size

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Apr 30 11:46:01 CEST 2006

Am 30.04.2006 um 09:09 schrieb Torbjörn Andersson:

> Currently, the BS2 engine has some code to limit the mouse cursor
> to max
> 80x80 pixels. I don't remember why - or even if - this was necessary,
> but the reason for that particular size was that the SDL backend
> used to
> impose such a limit. As far as I can tell, it no longer does.
>
> However, it still does define MAX_MOUSE_W and MAX_MOUSE_H, and at
> least
> the WinCE and MorphOS backends seem to have the limitation still.
>
> My question is, should the BS2 engine keep limit the cursor size, or
> should we declare it the backend's responsibility?

My take on this: We do not impose any limit on the cursor size
currently. This could become a problem, if a port has to implement
some limit, and we don't know whether games might need a bigger size.

Proposal: We agree on an arbitrary size limit, say, 128x128, or
80x80, and add to the OSystem docs: "All backends MUST support
cursors of at least up to 128x128 pixels. They MAY support bigger
cursors. They MUST gracefully deal with cursors that are bigger than
they support, by cropping or scaling them."

That way, backend creators know what they have to expect, and engine
writers do not have to worry about cursor sizes. And if we ever
encounter bigger cursors, well, we can worry about that then :-).

We could also add a return value to setMouseCursor() that indicates
if it failed to set the desired cursor.