[Scummvm-devel] kMD5FileSizeLimit = 1024 * 1024

Stuart George yakumo9275 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 15:56:59 CEST 2006

On 8/4/06, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> so, how about reducing kMD5FileSizeLimit from 1 MB to something smaller?
> Maybe even depending on the engine...
>
> For SCUMM, I can work on this eventually. But also the GOB, Kyra and Lure
> engines use the first 1 MB of a file. I don't have access to any of their
> data files from where I am right now, so I can't check if they even have
> detection files that are that big. But considering that new engines are
> usually started by looking at / copying from existing engines, I think it
> would be nice to lower these values to something "sensible", too (for
> reference, saga and simon use 5000 bytes, the remaining engines don't use
> MD5 at all).

why 1mb? why not all or nothing?
you can use a 16kb buffer or anysize and just md5sum the whole thing.

why is only the first X being summed?

when I was workig on sarien2 I was using zipfiles you get crc32's as a
free bonus
along with builtin file lists and such. (sdl has a nice zip library too)...

but anyway...

With the AGI engine the files are so small, md5summing is overkill.

doing an md5sum of a big file is not very time consuming.

--
-- Stuart George
 Homepage : http://mega-tokyo.com