[Scummvm-devel] [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm: [23747]scummvm/trunk/tools

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Sat Aug 26 01:53:30 CEST 2006

From: "Marcus Comstedt" <marcus at mc.pp.se>
>> Exactly why are file sizes been added? we already check the md5 checksum,
>> confirm an exact match.
>
> Because if the file size differs, we can conclude that the file
> doesn't match without computing the md5 (or even opening the file),
> thereby saving a lot of time?

Well it is already planned to reduce the file size limit used for md5
checksums to 128KB for the SCUMM engine.

If the file size details are required to reduce file access, we might as
well just update the md5 checksums with an even smaller file size limit.
Since the md5 details have to be updated in either case.