[Scummvm-devel] Small source restructuring

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Feb 13 06:25:05 CET 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 14:01, Marcus Comstedt wrote:
[...]
> Did you have any particular system in mind?  I've been trying to
> find a make replacement which fits all my needs, but still not
> located the grail...  SCons seems like a step in the right direction,
> but is still rather lacking in the autoconf department.  Also, I'm not
> really convinced that integrating the build system with a Python
> interpreter is a splendid idea.  Build (http://www.nongnu.org/build/)
> seems to be pretty similar to what I want, but only exists at a
> conceptual level AFAICS...

If it's of any interest, I'm currently working on a Lua-based build system
called Prime Mover. It's interesting because it's designed to be shipped as a
single cross-platform binary; it's a shell script that when run unpacks and
bootstraps itself via a C compiler, so that you don't need a Lua interpreter.

Here's an example of a simple pm file that builds a minimalist C program:

default = cprogram {
	"file1.c",
	"file2.c",
	"file3.c",
	install = pm.install("executable")
}

It's currently very, very beta, only really works with gcc, and is still being
tweaked, but I'm building a compiler suite that has 1500 intermediate files
in it, and it works well.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "...electrons, nuclei and other particles are good
+- www.cowlark.com --+