[Scummvm-devel] DXA file format for videos

Torbjörn Andersson eriktorbjorn at telia.com
Sat Jul 8 14:29:30 CEST 2006

Max Horn wrote:

> Well, we still are talking a 5x increase compared to our current BS2
> video pack, and a 2x increase for the BS1. Granted, the quality is
> probably better (maybe even a lot -- I never had a chance to see the
> uncompressed versions of the videos). Still, if we switch the format
> and at the same time ditch support for the MPEG2 variants, we are
> "forcing" a lot of people to re-download those cutscene packs.

With the improved DXA encoder, the size increase for BS2 is "only" just
short of 4x, but I still agree.

I've committed code to the BS2 engine to add support for DXA movies,
while still keeping compatibility with the old MPEG ones. I think I've
managed to do it in a fairly clean way, though parts of it are a bit
awkward because our DXA and MPEG decoders are so very different. The DXA
decoder is a decoder, and little else. The MPEG decoder has delusions of
being a player, as well.

If and when the BS2 code is adapted to BS1, it should be possible to
clean things up quite a bit. Right now, I'm pretty sick and tired of
cutscenes, both MPEG *and* DXA, so if anyone else wants to give it a go,
feel free to.

Torbjörn