[Scummvm-devel] Patch for Atari port submitted.....

Keith Scroggins kws at radix.net
Thu Jun 8 00:53:59 CEST 2006

Hello all,

My name is Keith Scroggins, and I have submitted a patch for a port (not
much needed patching!) to the high end Atari ST line of computers.

The 'high end' machines in this category are the Atari Falcon (last
machine made by Atari corp) with the CT60 accelerator, the Milan clone
with a 68060 cpu, and the Hades clone with a 68060 CPU.

As with the Amiga platform, the Atari also has a few different
environments people use for running software.  This port works fully under
the FreeMiNT environmint (a posix like setup, www.sparemint.org), and will
also run under Magic and TOS, but can not currently use sound in those 2
environments.  Hopefully in the future I can try to figure out the
incompatibilities, but the main problem is that Magic is a commercial
product I do not own, and TOS is not a multi tasking environment.

Besides the above, I would like to implement a midi driver to use the
Atari's native midi ports, and then possibly a driver to use the native
sound capabilities.  The midi driver implementation was in the first
patch I submitted, but did not work because it seems (at last right now)
that there is a problem with the callback timers executing the code from
the SDL implementation on the Atari platform.

Another idea I have is trying to use the DSP in the Falcon for some
performance enhancements, but these are just thoughts....

Software so far tested on the port (played each game about 10-15
minutes)....

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom (game crashes, need to try Atari ST version)
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle (crashes)
Beneath a Steel Sky
Broken Sword 1: The Shadow of the Templars (slow at points, but playable)
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Gobliiins
Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb
Simon the Sorcerer 1
Simon the Sorcerer 2
The Legend of Kyrandia (Played through 1/4 of the game so far)

Performance is best when adlib music is disabled (except in the earliest
scumm games where it is not a problem, Indy3 takes a little bit of a hit),
talkie games play fine then.  Since Full Throttle did not work, my guess
is the platform can not handle scumm 7/8, but I need to try the other 2
games at some point.

Thats all for now.

Keith