[Scummvm-devel] encode_dxa complaining about the type of image

Laurent Blume laurent at elanor.org
Mon Jun 19 09:24:53 CEST 2006

Hello all,

Since the ScummVM tools are labeled as unsupported, I'm asking here
first before trying to open a bug.

I followed the instructions to convert the videos for the Feeble Files.
I'm reasonably sure I did it correctly, since it worked for most of them.

However, for a single one, encode_dxa complains that the image is not of
the right type:

$ /opt/games/scummvm/bin/encode_dxa Mix_Guardscn
Encoding audio...LAME version 3.96.1 (http://lame.sourceforge.net/)
Using polyphase lowpass filter, transition band:  5379 Hz -  5512 Hz
Encoding Mix_Guardscn.wav to Mix_Guardscn.mp3
Encoding as 11.025 kHz VBR(q=4) single-ch MPEG-2.5 Layer III (ca. 10x) qval=
[snip]

Width = 640, Height = 480, Framerate = -10000, Frames = 2720
Encoding video...Error: 8-bit 256-color image expected!

I double checked that I was converting to palettized PNG in the RAD
tools. Actually, I did a batch convert, and encode_dxa did not complain
for all the other files. I also opened a few of those PNG files, and
they are indeed 8 bit PNG.

So it seems it might be an encode_dxa bug?

Another small problem I noticed: if the extension of the original files
is capitalized (ie, .SMK rather than .smk), encode_dxa does not find
them. It happened since a few of them are like that on the CDs. No big
deal, but since most of ScummVM tries to ignore case, I thought I'd
report it.

Thanks,

Laurent