[Scummvm-devel] ptmalloc3 in ScummVM?

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Thu Jun 22 13:29:43 CEST 2006

Hi guys,

for several years I'm watching CrystalSpace project which is a generic
3D Engine. Recently they started to consider switching from
OS-dependent malloc to ptmalloc3 library.

  http://www.malloc.de/en/

According to
http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/index.html
this research it will be considerable improvement on Win32, and of
course our beloved GP32 and PS2 which have deficient allocators.

ptmalloc is a good choice because ptmalloc2 is included in glib for a
while, and ptmalloc3 features proper multi-threading (well, there is
newer ptmalloc2 posted on otmalloc site, and I don't really know which
one to choose).

So what do you think about adding it as compile-time feature with it
turned on by default? We should fork it and put to vendors/ branch as
at least in CS it got crashes on exit since it calls atexit().

Eugene