[Scummvm-devel] data files

Willem Jan Palenstijn palenstijn at planet.nl
Sat Jun 24 13:09:17 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Since 0.9.0, scummvm comes with a number of data files (modern.ini,
modern.zip) that it has to be able to find. On most linux systems, the
default place to put such files is $prefix/share/scummvm.

I'd like to add this directory to the standard search path for themes,
and was thinking of the following:

* add 'datadir' to configure similar to the current 'mandir'/'bindir'.
(So with a --datadir switch, defaulting to /usr/share.)

* add -DDATA_PATH=\"$_datadir/scummvm\" to the compiler flags, or maybe
put it in config.h.

* let ThemeNew.cpp call addDefaultDirectory(DATA_PATH) if DATA_PATH is
defined.

Any comments/suggestions? Specifically, am I missing a file location
mechanism already in place? Would this be useful for other platforms as
well?

-Willem Jan