[Scummvm-devel] Re: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm: [21312] scummvm/trunk/engines/kyra/kyra.cpp

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Mar 16 14:28:01 CET 2006

Am 16.03.2006 um 21:23 schrieb LavosSpawn:

> Yep, the PS2 suffers from the same problem as the DC, it can only
> draw 50
> fps in PAL, 60 in NTSC.
> It'd be rather difficult to keep track of the last screen update
> and the
> current mouse position, etc.
> It's way simpler if the engine just calls updateScreen at least,
> say, 10
> times per second.
> That's what all our engines so far do anyways.
>
> In my personal opinion, the SDL backend updates the screen more
> often than
> it should anyways, for example in setMouseCursor. So if you want to
> do a
> full transition which includes setting a new palette, changing the
> cursor
> and copying some screen rect, you will have a garbage screen
> flashing up if
> you don't do it precisely in the correct order. That's actually a
> little
> confusing, I had that in the BS1 engine.
>
> I'd prefer if we kept things simple and update the screen only
> in ...uhm,
> yes... updateScreen().

Yes. That's my rule #1, and I am absolutely for implementing it.

Regardless of this, it still would be nice to see automatic cursor
updates, too, since 10 fps is rather slow for mouse cursor updates.
No full update is necessary for that, of course. But I fully
understand that it might be difficult to implement for some backends,
so I certainly don't insist on implementing that :-).