[Scummvm-devel] Re: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm: [21312] scummvm/trunk/engines/kyra/kyra.cpp

Kostas Nakos knakos at phys.uoa.gr
Thu Mar 16 23:55:01 CET 2006

Hi,

Max Horn wrote:

> Yes. That's my rule #1, and I am absolutely for implementing it.
>
> Regardless of this, it still would be nice to see automatic cursor
> updates, too, since 10 fps is rather slow for mouse cursor updates. No
> full update is necessary for that, of course. But I fully understand
> that it might be difficult to implement for some backends, so I
> certainly don't insist on implementing that :-).

Just to make things more interesting, Windows CE does not support the
notion of display double buffering, vertical sync etc. So Nicholas
updates dirty rectangles in place in the screen buffer and handles the
mouse separately, by doing background restoration (as one would do if
one had to draw/undraw sprites in the same buffer).

So cursor updates are handled asynchronously with respect to screen
updates. Of course, the procedure is quite tricky to get it working right.

Regards,
Kostas