[Scummvm-devel] DXA file format for videos

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 5 01:22:04 CEST 2006

From: "Max Horn" <max at quendi.de>
> Well, we still are talking a 5x increase compared to our current BS2
> video pack, and a 2x increase for the BS1. Granted, the quality is
> probably better (maybe even a lot -- I never had a chance to see the
> uncompressed versions of the videos). Still, if we switch the format  and
> at the same time ditch support for the MPEG2 variants, we are  "forcing" a
> lot of people to re-download those cutscene packs.
>
> From the coders point of view, of course the nicest and cleanest  solution
> would be to just ditch MPEG2 support completely in favor of  using DXA
> exclusively. From the point of view of a "customer",  though, having both
> supported in parallel (at least in the next  release) definitely would be
> preferable...

If we plan to ditch MPEG2 support eventually, we might as well do it in the
next release.
A good idea would be to post an announcement of change of formats, several
weeks before the next release (Maybe around testing time?). We could provide
a detailed guide for converting smacker files to DXA file format on wiki or
web site, snapshots of updated tools package, and the updated cutscenes
packs at that time. The advanced notice would give users enough warning, and
choice of converting files or downloading updated cutscenes packs. Users can
always use previous versions of ScummVM, if they prefer to stick with MPEG2
support too.