[Scummvm-devel] Simplifying keyboard repeat

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue May 16 06:21:58 CEST 2006

On Di, Mai 16, 2006 12:20, Marcus Comstedt wrote:

> Torbjörn Andersson <eriktorbjorn at telia.com> writes:
>
>> Marcus Comstedt wrote:

>>> The scummvm core, i.e. what you get if you take away the engines and
>>> the backends.  Basically what is in the base, common, graphics, sound,
>>> and gui directories.  In this case I suppose the "common" module would
>>> be appropriate.
>>
>> (Let's see if the mailing list is back to working again.)
>>
>> So you mean adding a backend-independent version of pollEvent()?
>

> Yes.  This could also handle stuff like Ctrl-a for toggling
> kFeatureAspectRatioCorrection.

But this shortcut is highly platform dependant, isn't it? Most of our
targets (including the Dreamcast, I believe?) don't even have a ctrl or an
A key. Of course, those could generate "fake" Ctrl-A key events, but what
would that solve? Maybe you meant something entierly different, but if so,
I am unfortunately not able to tell from that single sentence :-). Please
elaborate.

> It could either be a wrapper for
> the backend specific pollEvent(), or a separate function for the
> engine to call, in the tradition of XFilterEvent().  But a wrapper
> would be more convenient for engine developers, I think.

Again, could you state a bit more specifically what it would make
convenient? What specific usage patterns / features do you have in mind?
Looking at the SDL backends pollEvent and comparing it to the DC one, I
see virtually nothing that seems like duplicate code... ?!?