[Scummvm-devel] Simplifying keyboard repeat

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Fri May 19 04:20:13 CEST 2006

Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:

>> The SCUMM help text for example lists Ctrl 0-9, Alt 0-9, Alt x, Ctrl
>> z, Alt Enter, Ctrl d, Ctrl s, Ctrl f, Ctrl g, Ctrl m, Ctrl Alt 1-8,
>> Ctrl Alt +, Ctrl Alt - and Ctrl a.  Yet only a few of these are
>> implemented by the SCUMM engine itself.
>
> You are mixing engine specific hotkeys with backend specific hotkeys.

No, I'm not.  engines/scumm/help.cpp is.  I just extracted the
list from there.

> I assume you are aware of that, but just use this as a rhetoric tool
> to drive home some kind of point... ? Maybe to underline that our
> docs suck (in which case I'd wholeheartedly agree) ?

Well, I haven't even checked the actual docs, I'm just comparing the
on-line help text with what is actually implemented by the code which
contains it.  As I said, mismatches can be remedied both by removing
text and by adding implementation, but I don't think it's all that
clear cut that any mismatches are due to "suckfullness" of the
documentation.

>>> Convince me that adding a whole generic hotkey sharing infrastructure
>>> would save us more work than adding three lines to the DC backend to
>>> implement Ctrl-A, and we can discuss it for real :-).
>>
>> Well, if Ctrl a is implemented by the engine(s), that's fine too.
>> You could add the three lines there, and no new infrastructure is
>> needed.
>
> You mean adding those three lines to a couple dozen event loops
> spread over 11 engines, vs. adding it only in the DC backend (and
> maybe the X11 backend, should it ever implement aspect ration
> correction) ? Somehow I fail to see how this is "better" in about any
> regard... :-)

I'm trying to convince you that having _one_ implementation, and not
spreading it out _at all_, is better.  Remember?  ;-)  Today it's
three(?) backends which would need the three lines, how many tomorrow?
What about the next time such a generic hotkey is added?

  // Marcus