[Scummvm-devel] Non-hardcoded gameids

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue May 30 08:56:01 CEST 2006

I'm looking at writing some Engine classes for ScummVM, and was
wondering if there was any way of avoiding having to hard-code a list of
gameids and game titles. The platform I'm implementing is totally
generic, so that I don't know the title ahead of time.

It's a little grotesque, but I could remember all gameids seen so far in
the ScummVM configuration file, so that I can implement
Engine_*_gameIDList() and Engine_*_findGameID() --- but this means that
Engine_*_detectGames() would, when looking at a directory that hasn't
been seen so far, return a GameDescriptor that wasn't on the list I
returned, and I'm not sure that's legal.

The other approach is to implement a single generic game which I use for
all my titles, but this is unpleasant because it means that a ScummVM
session can only have one set up at a time.

Any suggestions?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty
+- www.cowlark.com --+ subject of kneecaps." --- Firefly, _War Stories_