[Scummvm-devel] Non-hardcoded gameids

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed May 31 07:15:29 CEST 2006

Max Horn wrote:
[...]
> So, just return a single generic gameid in Engine_*_gameIDList, like agi
> does. Your Engine_*_detectGames still can returned fine grained target
> records, including a nice description text which indicates the true name
> of the game.

Ta, that's very simple.

Two other questions:

Firstly, the current architecture seems to assume that only one Engine
will be running at a time. Will this always be the case? (I have some
third-party non-reentrant code.)

Secondly, the game canvas is always 8bpp, but the overlay can be 8bpp or
16bpp --- so if I want to do 16bpp graphics, I'm going to have to draw
on the overlay. What's the performance like when doing this? (I presume
I create a 16bpp Surface, and use copyRectToOverlay to write the data.)
How do I specify transparency?

Incidentally, you might be interested in this if you want to draw vector
graphics on the overlay:

http://www.antigrain.com/lite/agg2_lite.zip

It's a sub-pixel antialiased rasteriser capable of drawing arbitrary
polygons very fast and with very small amounts of code. (It's 70kB of
C++.) Better still, it's BSD licensed...

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty
+- www.cowlark.com --+ subject of kneecaps." --- Firefly, _War Stories_