[Scummvm-devel] Non-hardcoded gameids

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed May 31 13:34:03 CEST 2006

Am 31.05.2006 um 16:14 schrieb David Given:

> Max Horn wrote:
> [...]
>> So, just return a single generic gameid in Engine_*_gameIDList,
>> like agi
>> does. Your Engine_*_detectGames still can returned fine grained
>> target
>> records, including a nice description text which indicates the
>> true name
>> of the game.
>
> Ta, that's very simple.
>
> Two other questions:
>
> Firstly, the current architecture seems to assume that only one Engine
> will be running at a time. Will this always be the case? (I have some
> third-party non-reentrant code.)

Yes, that will always be the case, as most people aren't really
interested in playing two adventure games simultaneously... And those
that are can still launch two copies of ScummVM and let them run in
parallel :-).

> Secondly, the game canvas is always 8bpp, but the overlay can be
> 8bpp or
> 16bpp --- so if I want to do 16bpp graphics, I'm going to have to draw
> on the overlay. What's the performance like when doing this? (I
> presume
> I create a 16bpp Surface, and use copyRectToOverlay to write the
> data.)
> How do I specify transparency?

You don't, and I would *strongly* recommend against abusing the
overlay for game graphics. That's not what it is intended for, and in
particular, it wasn't designed for that task either.

Bye,