[Scummvm-devel] scummvm.desktop

Laurent Blume laurent at elanor.org
Fri Oct 20 22:30:18 CEST 2006

Max Horn a écrit :
> Not quite. Those translations, at least those I understand
> sufficiently well, aren't quite OK.

Agreed. Thanks for the feedback :-)

> The german one was translated to literally. Translated back, it says:
> "A machine/motor for classic adventure games". Short descriptions
> like these just don't work well when the translator sticks to close
> to the original text. I believe that several of the other
> translations suffer from the same problem -- but my limited language
> skills may have mislead me there.

No, you're quite right. I guess I tried to stick too much to the website
description, I should have been more imaginative!

Yes, I should have said that's why I started it again in the first place :-)

> How about something like this:
>
> Comment=Allows playing certain classic graphical adventure games on
> modern computers
> Comment[de]=Zum spielen vieler alter graphischer Adventures auf
> modernen Rechnern

I think your suggestion is very good:
"Allows playing many classic graphical adventure games on modern computers"

[snip]
>   In any case, some native speaker should probably fine-tune the
> english version ;-)

It looks ok(I checked in a dictionary, just in case ;-)
And believe me, it's not easy to translate "classic graphical" in French
and have it sound good...

Thanks again, I'll put my friends to work again!

Laurent