[Scummvm-devel] Kyra engine memory requirements

Neil Millstone neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 9 01:12:34 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I've been trying to get Kyra 1 running on the DS port and have run into
a few problems.

If you look at Engines/Kyra/Resource.cpp it loads the entire pak file
into RAM in order to generate an index from it the first file it indexes
is over 5Mb and is obviously a problem on a machine with 4Mb of RAM.
This seems unnecessary and I'm pretty sure I can change it to index the
file by seeking around within it.

Does anyone mind if I go ahead and change this?

The second issue I have is the dirty one of deleting savegames.  When
using a GBA flashcart there is only 64Kb of space to save games, which
doesn't get you many of them.  Currently in ScummVM there is no real way
of deleting save games.  I can list the files and ask the user which one
to delete, which works for SCUMM engine games (although you can't see
the name of the save), but games like BASS store an index of the saves
that exist so it's not exactly clear how I can delete a game cleanly.
Since each engine has a different process for this, it needs to be
integrated into the engine.

What would be great, is if each engine had a function to list the names
of the saves, and another function to delete one.  The front-end screen
to do this could be up to the individual backend, or perhaps integrated
into the launcher.

I had a discussion with others in the ScummVM IRC channel a while ago,
and they seemed to be in agreement.

- Neil