[Scummvm-devel] ScummEX and Tools GUI: Qt vs. wx

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Apr 12 14:23:50 CEST 2007

Hi Sean, hi Zbyl,

you two have been chosen to work on a GUI for the ScummVM tools, resp. on
the ScummEX tool. Both of you need to implement a portable graphical user
interface. One has proposed Qt, the other wxWidgets. I think both would be
suitable. However, we think it would be strongly preferable if you agreed
on one of the two. One of the reasons is that you may not be around
forever, and then others will have to maintain your code. BUt then it'll
be a lot easier if those people only have to know one toolkit, not too.
Also, using a single toolkit may allow you to share code and help each
other.

As I understand it, both of you would be willing to use either toolkit, so
it boils down to determining which is "best" suited. Maybe others from the
team would like to speak up for one of the two toolkits, too...

Personally, I tend a bit towards wxWidgets, because you don't need a
preprocessor, and because it seems a bit "lighter" to me (this is based on
Qt 3.x and an older wxWidgets release, BTW, maybe I am outdated). And
building wxMac is a lot faster than Qt/Mac *g*.
Alas, that's just my two cents, and it would be interesting to hear what
others think in this regard.