[Scummvm-devel] TFMX playback support

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Apr 17 09:59:15 CEST 2007

Am 17.04.2007 um 04:26 schrieb João Matos:
> Hi, I have been reverse engineering for some weeks now an old game
> platform game by Nestlé, released in 1995.
Hi!

First thing: When you write to a mailing list, please do not just
reply to an arbitrary thread. At the very least, insert a meaningful
subject line. Even then, opening a new mail is better than a reply,
because with a reply you still end up with a "In-Reply-To:" header
you don't want, causing mails to be sorted incorrectly.

Now, back to topic.

> My goal is to rewrite the game engine, since Nestlé denied to
> release the source code (it was in Assembly anyway), so I can play
> it in my PSP. The game is free to redistribute and isn't even
> available for download anywhere, except here.
>
> Today I just wrote a level viewer (tile-based to image converter):
> http://triton.com.pt/nesquik

Well, good luck with that!

> I saw in the SCUMMVM wiki that you need an improved TFMX player
> codebase, well, the game I said earlier also as the sound in TFMX
> format.

To be precise, we need *any* kind of support for TFMX, as right now
we have *none*, i.e. there is nothing to improve in that regard in
the ScummVM. But maybe you were referring to the player code we link
to at e.g. <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/
OpenTasks#Add_support_for_TFMX.2C_and_more_Amiga_MOD_formats>. Well,
I think "improving" that won't be enough, a rewrite from scratch
would be more like it :-).

> Do you know anyone interested in working with me improving it?
>
> I don't have much experience in C++, but I learn pretty fast if I
> am motivated! :)
>
> Anyway, is anyone you know interested in improving the old TFMX
> codebase?

Well, as stated on the above linked wiki page, we are interested in a
proper/clean TFMX player. But we don't have enough time/interest to
do it ourselves at this point.

> If I had help from an experienced coder, things would go much
> faster, oh well, if not I will try to do it myself.

And what kind of help would you expect from that experienced coder?