[Scummvm-devel] Documentation

Henry Bush scummvm at spookypeanut.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 21:44:28 CET 2007

OK, I've been thinking about this on my walk home.

Why did the manual get moved (or copied) to the wiki in the first
place? I suspect (though I wasn't involved in discussion, correct me
if I'm wrong) in order to try and promote it, and to get more people
contributing.

The only benefit to having the manual on the wiki that I can see is
that it's easier to edit, and that doesn't seem to have made any
difference to the number of people contributing. On the other hand,
the benefits of a docbook (or similar) manual are huge: easy
conversion to almost any format (including multi-page html), easy
creation of multiple documents for different purposes (e.g. different
readme for different ports, etc), and I'm sure there are others.

I don't want to come across dictatorial (especially where I have
absolutely no place to be), but what do people think about the
proposal of scrapping the wiki manual and switching back to docbook?

There may be a little content overlap with the wiki, but with suitable
links, both wiki->manual and manual->wiki, I think we can minimize it.

Thoughts?

Henry