[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM middle mouse button

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Dec 29 09:58:51 CET 2007

Am 29.12.2007 um 04:55 schrieb Paul Gilbert:

> Hi everyone,
>
> On review, I realised that the original Lure executable had support
> for the middle mouse button to abort any active conversation the
> player is currently in; I also wanted the middle button to close/
> accept dialogs now that I'm adding scroll wheel support in some
> areas. ScummVM, however, doesn't currently have any middle mouse
> button events.

You do realize that many many devices do not have a middle button? So
this would have to be completely optional in any case?

So, it would have to be an alternative input option at most. There
*must* be alternative triggers. Ideally ones which can somehow be
reached by a player with a gamepad, too...

> On my local copy I've added a new EVENT_MBUTTONDOWN and
> EVENT_MBUTTONUP to Common::EventType, and added a fragment to
> backends/platforms/sdl/events.cpp that, similiar to wheel up/down,
> has a block with #if defined(SDL_BUTTON_MIDDLE) and sets the event
> type appropriately.
>
> I know that there's an eventual intention to combine all the mouse
> events into a single down/up event, but for now would it be okay
> for me to commit this into the development branch?

Hrm. I'd not be completely happy about this (gut feeling), but I
guess there is no major reason against it... Only that we have to
clean up even more later one. But well...