[Scummvm-devel] More demos on demos.php & Wiki ?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Feb 12 23:18:07 CET 2007

Hi David, hi all,

Am 12.02.2007 um 22:30 schrieb David Given:

> Max Horn wrote:
> [...]
>> As such:
>> 1) Might be nice to extend the Wiki entries for all games by links to
>> demos, if available; use the same links as provided on
>> <http://www.scummvm.org/demos.php>
>
> ...speaking of which, is there any chance of getting someone to
> take over the
> demos that I'm hosting on www.cowlark.com for me? I don't really
> have a lot to
> do with ScummVM any more (apart from periodically replaying my
> collection),
> and while none of the files are particularly big, I *am* on the
> other end of a
> domestic broadband connection.

Understood, and very reasonable of course. Thanks a lot for hosting
them so far!

> Would it make sense to have all these files collected at some
> central location?

It would totally make sense, at least for those demos for which there
is no other "natural" repository (like the HE demos hosted by HE).
The problem is, how to get such a location. Unless we can convince
SF.net to make an exception for us (which I rather doubt, and I even
understand the rationale behind it, so I won't even complain), we
probably would have to pay for it...

But collecting all those demos on a central server might generate a
*huge* load of traffic. Thinking in the range of dozens or hundreds
of gigabyte / month. Part of the problem is that we don't quite know
how much exactly, which makes it a bit difficult to plan this...

Of course we could use some of the money we got donated to pay for
file hosting with sufficient bandwidth. We could even make another
donation round, I am sure many people would be willing to help out.

For example, I could upgrade my webaccount for a few euro more per
month (let's say, 2 euro/month), to get 100 GB/month traffic, and
about 1 Gig memory. Or if instead of 2 I spend 6 Euro/month extra,
it's 500 GB Traffic and 2 GB or so. Or more, I can relatively quickly
upscale this as required. The numbers above are for my current
hoster, http://hosteurope.de -- it's very easy for me to book extra
space/bandwidth there, and cheap enough for my purposes.

But maybe somebody on the team knows about cheaper hosting and is
willing to manage this, would be fine by me, too

Bye,