[Scummvm-devel] FW: On 3.3 in the README: "Maniac Mansion NES notes"

Quietust quietust at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 05:19:43 CET 2007

When I first wrote my ROM splitter (to create ScummVM-parsable .LFL files),
it took an iNES-formatted ROM image (i.e. with the 16-byte header).
Somewhere along the line, it was decided that we shouldn't accept that
format and should instead require the raw 256KB PRG ROM data.

As I recall, there were 2 reasons behind this:
1. It cleaned up the code, since it no longer had to adjust the file pointer
by 16 bytes in various places 2. By accepting .NES files, we were making it
more convenient to use illegally obtained ROM images (i.e. the same
rationale behind not supporting ZIP files)

(resent it so it actually goes to the mailing list this time)

--
Quietust, QMT Productions (http://qmt.ath.cx/)
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.