[Scummvm-devel] Memory footprint

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Jan 14 23:41:28 CET 2007

Yo folks,

recently I made a memory profile for ScummVM running CoMI (well, the
start of it at least). I marked where the biggest chunks of memory
were used. While I myself currently have no time to make any use of
it, maybe somebody is interested in using this to trim away some fat
from ScummVM in general and the SCUMM engine in particular.

One idea I had: Maybe one can safe 300-700k in NutRenderer::loadFont
(well, for CoMI, at least), by not pre-decoding the fonts, but rather
decoding the compressed data on the fly (i.e. load the font file to
memory, don't unpack it, but rather use it on the fly).

There are many other things eating up memory in ScummVM. This
particular sample was only for the first few minutes in CoMI, it's
probably a good idea to take a longer sample; and other SCUMM games /
engines might benefit from a trimming, too. After all, our smaller
backends all benefit from reduced memory footprints.

Bye,