[Scummvm-devel] Support for "registering" games?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Jan 15 20:04:41 CET 2007

Am 15.01.2007 um 19:11 schrieb David Weinehall:

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 06:35:45PM +0100, Torbjörn Andersson wrote:
>> David Weinehall wrote:
>>
>>> A much requested feature from Debian users has been that there
>>> would be
>>> some sort of global scummvm configuration file, so that it would be
>>> possible to have games registered on installation.
>>>
>>> This would make games visible to all all users of the system at
>>> once,
>>> instead of only having per-user .scummvm files.  The user could then
>>> override these entries using his local .scummvm-file.
>>
>> It would probably be easier if each packaged game had its own file
>> with
>> default settings. That way, a package would just have to remove
>> its own
>> file, rather than trying to figure out which lines of one global
>> config
>> file to remove.
>
> Well, /etc/scummvm.d/
> and have config files that gets joined together would seem natural,
> yes.

This is currently not possible, and there are currently no plans to
change that. I suggest you (or one of the many Debian users
requesting the feature) use the normal route and file a feature
request, and/or submit a patch, at the resp. relevant trackers.

>> Of course, this still assumes that the problem of merging global and
>> local settings can be easily solved. I'm not familiar enough with the
>> inner workings of the config manager.
>
> Having an entry in .scummvm for a particular game should be enough to
> disable the normal entry, I think.

That's one way to handle it, yes. Feel free to submit a patch (I shy
away from the amount of work required to implement this properly --
i.e. taking into account user editing of the settings, adapting the
config manager, dealing with multiple config storage locations, and
keeping everything portable all the while).