[Scummvm-devel] Smacker to DXA conversion

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Jan 26 11:30:41 CET 2007

Just to clarify what I wrote here: My email should not be interpreted
as me (or ScummVM as a whole) trying to get people to reverse
engineer Smacker, or work on that. And anyway, this RE work has been
done already by others, so there are Smacker decoders, and docs on
the Smacker format out there.

Rather, my point was that somebody external might be interested in
writing a Smacker-to-DXA-converter, based on our DXA code, and one of
the smacker decoders out there. Such a thing would help our non-
windows-users. It would not require any RE work, it would just put
together code that's already out there.

Also, I suggested that we shouldn't host such a tool at ScummVM
directly. To clarify that, too: I didn't mean this should be a
ScummVM project, hosted off-site, but rather a completely 3rd party
tool. In other words, we're not trying to use a loophole (e.g. to
bypass our prior talks with RAD) - rather, it reflects the fact that
I am not sure about the precise legal status of the Smacker decoders
out there. And as such, I would prefer to keep our code base clean
from those for the time being (i.e. until the legal status is crystal
clear).

Finally, I highly doubt RAD is not aware of the Smacker decoders and
docs out there -- maybe they are pretending to be not aware, but they
would have to be blind and deaf to not know about this.

Bye,