[Scummvm-devel] Preliminary Tools GUI design

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Jul 24 16:06:15 CEST 2007

Hi there,

thanks Knakos for expressing very nicely some of the thoughts I have on
the tools GUI.

In addition to this, there is an under-the-hood change I still would like
to see: Namely, instead of having lots of external compress_* tools, all
the code should be linked into a single binary.

In particular, this requires more modularization. So, each compress_* tool
has to be changed to expose its functionality via a standarized interface.
Then, one can include it directly into the GUI tool, but can *also*
provide a regular command line tool, just like now, by providing an simple
main() function.

In fact, with some thought put into it, it should be possible to share the
code of this simple main() function between most of the compress_ tools.

Similar thoughts apply to the extraction tools, but these are less
interesting for most users; for users, the compress_ tools are the
important stuff.