[Scummvm-devel] Simon the Sorcerer appears to leak all it's audio ram

Neil Millstone neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 3 17:08:36 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've been doing a test of all the engines that the DS version of ScummVM
runs, and I've found quite a serious problem with the audio that shows
up in Simon the Sorcerer.

I can't work out why, but it seems that a LinearMemoryStream with the
autoFreeMemory flag set doesn't actually free the memory when used in
Simon the Sorcerer.  I have tested this on the Linux SDL version as well
as my DS port.  This makes it crash half way through the intro on the
DS.  I'm using Simon the Sorcerer 1 (CD/Windows/English).

The same code works fine in other games, which is very puzzling because
I can't see any difference in the way it is called from Simon.

I tested this by adding a printf() to the constructor of
LinearMemoryStream and one in the destructor.  The destructor printf
never appears.  I would have thought this should be quite a high
priority to get fixed since it's a big resource leak.

I'd appreciate it if someone with more knowledge of this code could take
a look, because I'm stumped!

Thanks for any help you can give!

- Neil