[Scummvm-devel] Simon the Sorcerer appears to leak all it'saudio ram

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 4 13:13:27 CEST 2007

From: <neil at millstone.demon.co.uk>
> Travis Howell wrote:
>> That code was removed, due to been a bad hack, and shouldn't be added
>> back  again. It could cause a situation where no speech is played and no
>> subtitles are shown, so the user has no idea what happened. Combined
>>speech and subtitles isn't possible in the English and German versions
>>of Simon the  Sorcerer 1. And you can't be sure, that subtitles are
>>enabled in other games either.
>
> Yes, I agreee it is a bad hack, but unfortunately it's the only way Simon
> the Sorcerer will run on the DS. Without the hack, the game crashes
>during the intro, which in my opinion is  much worse than missing
>out a speech sample every now and then.  It's too late to write streaming
>code for this now, so I would ask that you let me add the hack back in
>just for the DS port?

No, as I already explained, that hack still doesn't provide people with a
usable game, when is speech enabled. We don't need more bugs reports, due to
issues caused by bad hacks like that either.

Besides, the Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 games could still be used on DS
port:
By using the DOS Floppy versions of Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2, which are
subtitles only.
By using the CD versions of Simon the Sorcerer 2, set to 'Subtitles only',
via the GUI. (Maybe even set Simon the Sorcerer 2 to subtitles only, for DS
port in the meantime?)

Just note the current limitations for the DS port of ScummVM 0.10.0, in the
DS specific compatibility list and readme.