[Scummvm-devel] ATTN. Porters. Changed list of files to include

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Mon Jun 11 21:47:53 CEST 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:17:08 +0000
"Lars Persson" <larspp at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just tested the latest pred.dic in my PC emulator. After around
> 6500 words and 6200 lines I got an out of memory. Also it took quite
> a while to read this file line by line (even though I was running it
> on my PC).
Hmmm... special efforts were made to optimize it. After all it's just
6k of lines, nothing to any of supported games data... If we only could
have porter's attention more often, so they could test it on low-end
devices... sigh.

> For a small file, extracted from KQ3 for example, it worked fine, but
> now I feels really huge and might be abit to large for the targeted
> devices in mind.
If there would be included words from single game, that could spoil the
gameplay quite highly. Just like it was/is with GBAGI. But I was sure
that that big dictionary wouldn't make problems. Sierra-only dictionary
is slightly below 3,100 entries. I'm attaching it here. Use

  perl tools//construct-pred-dict.pl sierra.dic > pred.dic

and if possible, test on real device, how long it takes to load the
dictionary.

> So do this "issue" a fix before the release or how should we handle
> it?
I'm afraid it's too late unless someone will perform a quick profiling,
and, perhaps, Max will look into it. But generally it's quite late.

Eugene