[Scummvm-devel] Framebuffer

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Jun 17 09:37:55 CEST 2007

Am 17.06.2007 um 02:06 schrieb Neil Millstone:

> Hi Max,
>
> For the DS port, this change isn't really useful.  At the moment, I'm
> using copyRectToScreen() to copy data directly into the hardware
> framebuffer.  This memory is awkward, because it doesn't allow 8-bit
> writes.  So if you want to write directly to a single pixel in an 8-
> bit
> mode you have to do a read-modify-write.  This would mean I couldn't
> just wrap this buffer and return it as a Graphics::Surface.  I would
> have to make a copy in system memory and return that, which would make
> it similar to the existing grabRawScreen() method.
>
> Although it's not a lot of work to implement, so if it helps others
> it's
> fine by me.

Hi Neil,

yes, I am fully aware of this "limitation" (for the lack of a better
word) of the NDS / NDS port, as I did review all backends before
writing my email.

However, all other ports do benefit, as they can get rid of
grabRawScreen and the additional memory required. The NDS doesn't get
this gain, but it doesn't loose anything, at least as long as we stay
with the copyRectToScreen API, which, at least for the time being, is
the plan.