[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.10.0 tagged with tools

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-earth.com
Sat Jun 30 16:52:20 CEST 2007

Hi Max,

>Just to get this straight: Is there a workaround for this? That is,
>does using __attribute__((packed)) solve the problem? Does one have
>to remove the #pragma pack statements in addition? Or what?

The current SVN codebase requires no modifications at all to build and run
successfully on the GP2X or WinCE/GCC/ARM (or any ARM GCC target, DS, GP32
etc.) without any alignment issues as long as the compiler is a recent
GCC4.* (or any 3.*) or has the following patch applied to it if an early GCC
4.*.

I hear there may by alignment issues with Symbian ports but I do not know
the specifics (Lars, care to fill us in?).

I don't believe we build Symbian on GCC, if we do then the above patch would
most lightly be appropriate there also. If not we may have to think of
longer term workarounds.

>Or do we have to completely get rid of the assumption that one can
>pack structs, and replace this with different code?

I think it is a valid assumption. The only problems with this assumption are
lightly to be compiler issues and frankly there is no shortage of other
applications that would fall foul of the same compiler bugs.

As for another approach or code changes, that's the core code, I am just a
porter ;).

Cheers,

John