[Scummvm-devel] File name conventions

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Mar 30 22:48:49 CEST 2007

Hi folks,

today I added a small section to our engines HOWTO, proposing a very
limited set of file naming conventions. You can see it here:
  <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO-
Engines#File_name_conventions>

This is not set in stone, and in particular, is not finished (nor
implemented):
* Feel free to dispute "conventions" I proposed there
* Feel free to suggest alternate or additional "conventions"
* AGI uses the non-standard name savegame.cpp -> should be changed to
saveload.cpp
* Not all backends use plugin.cpp -- there are multiple variations in
use: game.cpp, detection.cpp, some use ENGINENAME.cpp. I think it
would be nice if we used a standard place for this, as often people
working on the backend code need to make changes to the plugin part
of an engine, so making it easy to locate is beneficial

The other conventions are not really that important, but as I noticed
that many backends seem to use them, I thought we could just as well
list them, too. Maybe we want to use this chance to regularize some
names. E.g.
* change debugger.cpp to debug.cpp (following the majority of our
engines)
* change gfx.cpp to graphics.cpp (again, majority, plus it seems to
fit in better with sound.cpp, which almost all engines use -- as
opposed to sfx.cpp. Oh and gfx usually means "Graphics Effects"

Yeah, none of these are very important. So if nobody complains, I'll
just assume you don't really care much and will perform these tweaks.
Alas, feel free to complain anyway :)