[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM Tools GUI

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue May 1 13:33:49 CEST 2007

Am 30.04.2007 um 19:41 schrieb lightcast at gmail.com:

> I was planning on trying to change the tools to use libvorbis and
> libflac, but lame might be a problem since distributing lame
> binaries may be illegal (see question 6: http://
> lame.sourceforge.net/tech-FAQ.txt ).  We could just dynamically
> link to lame_enc.dll but not include it with the tools.  Anyone
> have any thoughts about this?

My stance is this:
First off, it would probably nice if one could still call an external
lame binary as some kind of fallback code. If the encoding routines
get properly encapsulated, this shouldn't pose a major problem. This
way, people can either compile their own scummvm tools binary with
liblame linked in, all others can download ours which has libvorbis &
libflac linked in but still requires an external lame. This way,
nobody looses out, but for everybody who wants to use Ogg or FLAC
there is a major improvement in convenience.

Furthermore, as long as all our ports support Ogg Vorbis, not having
MP3 encoding support automatically enabled (in the sense of not
linking against liblame, and requiring extra steps by the user to get
it working) in our default ScummVM is no problem. We can just tell
everybody that "Ogg Vorbis is our preferred encoding format". To
silence those who claim that "MP3 gives smaller files!!!" we could
simply tweak the default Ogg Vorbis settings to produce files with a
size comparable to those generated by our default MP3 encoding specs.
Right now, we just default to a higher quality level for Ogg Vorbis,
I think.