[Scummvm-devel] Wiki Editing

Matthew Hoops clone2727 at gmail.com
Sun May 6 17:20:38 CEST 2007

On 5/5/07, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

> Maybe others are interested in this, too. One problem with that doc
> TODO is that it was not yet shown to the rest of the team, and some
> people may have different opinions on some of the suggestions there.
> I hereby would like to encourage everybody to edit that wiki page,
> and/or voice opinions on the matter here. Speak up now or be silent
> forever *ggg*.

Yes, I still don't agree with adding the data files needed for each game to
be added to each game. While I don't remember who said it (maybe sev?), it
might be best just to group several games together. AGI for example uses the
same file names.

Hence, I think a much briefer overview would be sufficient and
> possibly more helpful. Like: "This game should work fine on all
> platforms officially supported by ScummVM, with the exception of X,
> Y, Z [with links to the platform compat pages]. For more details on
> why this is so, refer to A and B." (the latter only added if
> available, of course).
> As an example, Broken Sword runs on most ports, except for some of
> the smaller ones due to resolution or memory problems.

I concur.

Tools usage
> ===========
> As for the tools usage: "The utility is used in the following manner:
> 'compress_scumm_sou monster.sou '" is obviously a bit short, but of
> course we can't do all this in one go. But my suggestion would be:
> Let's create a "ScummVM Tools Usage" page or so, and let the game's
> page link to that. I.e. only keep this sentence:
>   "The monster.sou file can be compressed with the utility
> compress_scumm_sou which is found in the [ScummVM tools package]" and
> make "compress_scumm_sou" a link to the "compress_scumm_sou" section
> on the tool's usage page. That section in turn could be populated
> with the data found in the README on compress_scumm_sou right now,
> possibly augmented by the usage output of the "compress_scumm_sou" tool
>
> The top of that page, have some general remarks on the tools, like
> that they require external tools like lame and vorbis tools; also
> maybe a link to existing frontends for them.

Sounds good to me.

Misc
> ====
> On <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Loom> in the Data Files
> section, it says: "Amiga, FM-TOWNS**, Macintosh, PC EGA, PC Demo" but
> the "**" is never explained.

"Games that have ** shown in there name use CD audio tracks for music, check
readme included with ScummVM to see how to convert them to compressed files.
"

Yeah, it's right there at the top (even with a grammar error). :)

-Matt (clone2727)