[Scummvm-devel] Less memory-aggressive plugin management

Robin Watts scummvm at wss.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 02:01:39 CET 2007

In message <yf9lk98hdxa.fsf at omoikane.mc.pp.se> you wrote:
> Incidentally, on the DC I do benefit memory-wise from the plugin
> system even when loading all the plugins. This is because code only
> amounts for a fraction of the memory usage.  Most of the memory
> used is dynamically allocated by the engines to hold loaded data
> etc. Hence, even though a fair bit of memory is used by loading all
> the plugins, this is less memory than needed to actually run the
> games (well, at least when considering SCUMM v6 games; YMMV), and
> can be reclaimed before the engine starts allocating.

I don't entirely follow this; a monolithic build of ScummVM will have
all the same code as the plugin version (but in a slightly smaller
format). The extra runtime memory required to play a particular game
will surely be the same for a plugin version or a monolithic version
- it only gets allocated when that particular engine starts up.

Or do you mean that when you start a particular game you run through
and ditch all the unwanted DLLs? (Which seems like a clever idea)

Robin
--
Robin Watts,             Email: <mailto:Robin.Watts at wss.co.uk>
Warm Silence Software,   WWW:   <http://www.wss.co.uk/>