[Scummvm-devel] Idea for debug feature: Borders around blitted rectangles

Ori Avtalion oavtal at bezeqint.net
Tue Nov 13 20:55:23 CET 2007

Hi,

Going over the google android documentation, I noticed a debug setting:

"Show screen updates - Flashes a momentary pink rectangle on any screen
sections that are being redrawn. This is very useful for discovering
unnecessary screen drawing."

I think this would be a helpful feature in scummvm, for the exact reason
above.

While the "momentary flash" may be tricky to implement, I think a border
drawn on the edges of the rectangle will be sufficient to notice.

Any objections / suggestions?

With the basic idea out of the way, should it be enabled by a debug
console command, or a command line flag?
Since it's in copyRectToScreen, which is called lots of times, should it
be enabled by a build flag?

And, of course, what color should the lines be?
If an engine defines itself to be based on a color palette, is it still
possible to have a single color consistently appearing in all engines?

-Ori