[Scummvm-devel] What should the default signing of untyped chars be?

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 22:41:51 CEST 2007

> Now to my question, what kind of typing do ScummVM and all of its engines
> expect?

If the developers want to have a special sign they *have* to use
signed char/unsigned char anyway since it is not defined by the C(++)
standard what the sign of char is. So I don't think we should default
to one, which also would make me ask if every compiler is able to
change the default char sign, since else it would be rather bad to
default to one.

> For example the Symbian OS Gob engine is not behaving 100% (menubar
> offsetted to the right), so I think this might be an char issue.

Sounds rude but if it's char related it's a problem of the Gob engine
and thus the Gob engine should be 'fixed' accordingly instead of using
hacks for the platforms suffering from it. (Maybe Kyra could or even
does suffer from the very same problem at some points, but then it has
to be fixed in the Kyra code too).

// Johannes