[Scummvm-devel] Makefiles: devices versus tools

Robin Watts Robin.Watts at wss.co.uk
Sun Sep 30 15:25:20 CEST 2007

In message <BE9F9B05-F9CF-441E-BF81-38D82F3E3211 at quendi.de> you wrote:
> First off, I find the name "DEVICE_BUILD" highly irritating. At
> least I didn't get what your point was initially. Shouldn't this
> be "CROSSPLATFORM_BUILD" or so?

Personally, no. I don't believe so.

The case we have problems with is when we are building for devices
(i.e. small things that we want ScummVM to work on, but not
necessarily ancillary things like the tools). Hence DEVICE_BUILD.

Suppose we move to a state where we have regular nightly builds of
ScummVM etc being done using cross compilers; so a single unix box
builds binaries for windows, osx, etc. That'd be a cross platform
build - but it wouldn't mean that we didn't want ancillary things
like tools to be built.

I'm not wedded to the term DEVICE_BUILD - was just the best I could
come up with at the time.

> Well, I am not terribly fond of the name "CROSSPLATFORM_BUILD"
> either. Although I disagree with the reasoning here: A
> "crossplatform build" has a well-established meaning, after all
> (building a binary for device B on device A).

Yes, but (as I say above) that's not what this symbol describes
necessarily.

> Anyway, I'll remove "tools" from "all" for the time being and will
> wait if there's an outcry about this or not ;-).

That is a course a very neat solution, and one I'd adopted here
temporarily to get stuff building - but it does seem a shame to lose
the ability to build everything with a single command on the most
popular platforms (windows, linux etc).

Still, whatever you feel is best.

Robin
--