[Scummvm-devel] Predictive input code

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-earth.com
Fri Apr 4 15:11:14 CEST 2008

Max,

I always preferred the prefix tree approach but there were performance
issues on the GP2X (and it killed off the poor NDS ;-)).

The considerations for a revised implementation seem quite sane to me but I
am sceptical in the benefits they could deliver over the current 'hackup'.

>And whether the porters whose ports suffered from the code would
>be willing to test patches by me for speed regressions before I put them
>into SVN, in a timely fashion (I don't want my patch to bitrot for 6
>months, but I also don't want to upset porters by just committing it).

As I now have GP2X hardware again put me down for patch testing. I should be
able to turn them around quickly enough. Well once I get the SVN backend
working again (but that's another story ;-)).

>Finally, it would be nice if we could turn this into a generic facility
>(maybe located in common/predicitve), so that both AGI and the DS port
>(which currently implements its own predictive code, which is
>"hack-hooked" into the AGI code) could share this code, resulting in a
>consistence user experience across all platforms.

Agreed, however I am not sure how much of this work could/should be
considered related (at least in part) to the scope of the common virtual
keyboard/keymapper work?

Cheers,

John