[Scummvm-devel] Augmented target name

Kostas Nakos knakos at phys.uoa.gr
Mon Apr 7 18:19:45 CEST 2008

Hi,

On 04/07/2008 01:07 AM, Max Horn wrote:
> The issue now is this: We are inconsistent (shhesh). I have several
> variants of all kyra games, so now I have kyra1, kyra1-1, kyra1-2,
> kyra3-1, kyra3-1, kyra3-2, ...
> Personally, I find this extremly irritating, and I would much prefer
> to have augment target names. I am getting old and just find it
> annoying to memorize that kyra1-3 is the "CD/DOS/English" version of
> Kyra 1, while kyra3-1 is the DOS/German of Kyra 3. :-)

Although it does not matter all that much to me, I would prefer
consistence/conformance of kyra to the overwhelmingly established scheme
that other engines use, over the other solutions. And the bikeshed
should be dark blue.

> One reason given *against* changing kyra to use the "augmented
> targets" was that it would break savestates when re-adding games.

Again, in comparison to other possibilities of automated fallbacks and
other nasty, hackish stuff it may be preferable to simply state
somewhere prominently in the next release that savegame-name conventions
have changed for kyra, and list the conversion procedure (cheap cop-out?).

Kostas