[Scummvm-devel] Kyrandia engine loading is slow on the DS

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:47:24 CEST 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008 14:48:38 neil at millstone.demon.co.uk wrote:
> - Kyrandia loads and plays quite slowly.  It seems to be doing a huge
> number of file operations which cause a pause each time a sound effect is
> played.  Kyra 1 is okay, but 2 is poor, and 3 is almost unplayable, and
> takes 30 seconds at a black screen before it shows the title screen.  I
> realise it may be too late to look at this for 0.12.0, but I'll mention
> this now anyway, because I imagine it will affect all ports that have slow
> file systems.  Unfortunately my time this week to work on ScummVM is very
> limited so I won't be able to debug Kyra much, if at all.

Actually it could be changed to use Common::File::exists AFTER checking the
internal file list, which would reduce the number of filesystem operations a
lot. I added a patch which exactly does this. Kyra1 floopy+cd, Kyra2 cd and
Kyra 3 started up fine for me with it, Kyra3 still took some time to startup
though.

// Johannes