[Scummvm-devel] Little Big Adventure

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Aug 15 00:05:57 CEST 2008

Hi Martin, hi all,

based on what I heard from people, and what my own studies of the
source code of the engine yielded, I do not think that LBA would fit
into the scope of ScummVM. Some of the reasons which in their sum lead
me to this opinion are:
* it uses 3D rendered actors (rendered in real time, using a software
3D shader)
   (as opposed to e.g. SAGA; which uses some isometric graphics but in
the end is purely bitmap based)
* it has loads of arcade elements
   (we have other games with arcade elements, but for most (all?) it's
a minor element; or the game is simply supported because the engine is
supported, and little code was needed to add the game)
* not a "point and click adventure"
   (granted, we have some AGI games which are not strictly point-and-
click, but many AGI games are, and those games do not conflict with
the other points)

Of course, you are still free to use the ScummVM core code; if your
goal is to make LBA more portable, that might still be a way to go. We
specifically allow 3rd party plugins to be loaded, so you could
develop a plugin targeting certain point releases of ScummVM. Or just
copy/clone parts of the code.